• Breaking News

    The safari of my life.

    Wednesday 3 April 2013

    A case of the right or left hand?


    A couple of years ago I attended an event dubbed (high tea with Carol Mandi). It had been organized by a myriad of business women at Hilton for purposes of networking and encouraging each other. And being a Carol Mandi ardent fan having read her articles back to the days when her photograph appeared on the Nation newspaper in black and white, it was a must attend for me.

    As expected the function was full of women both young and old .Carol who the chief guest gave a talk on what we do with our life’s whether it has richness in quality or not (that’s a loose translation forgive me but that was about 6 years ago). She told us of having acquired a “plump” job but kept feeling something was a miss. The analogy she gave I remember to date, said “it is like a right handed person trying to write with their left hand or a left handed person trying to write with their right hand.” The job in question rumor had it was that of the government spokesman.

    This analogy has been on my mind for a while now. Their many times in my life I have done things that make me feel like I am using my left hand (am right handed) to write. I repeat often, that if I was to go back to the University for the first time with the knowledge that I have now then I would on first instance take up a bachelor’s degree in Sports science. That would be the discipline my heart and hence my right hand would yearn for. You ask why didn’t I choose it and I will tell you I got a letter from the Joint Admission Board(JAB) that sent me to a certain campus and that was it. I tried to do an interfaculty transfer but I did not have the spirit to chase around the university technocrats trying to change a course so I spent a better part of those years writing with my left hand.

    As I had indicated earlier I had started playing the violin. The beautiful small instrument (though less than one kilogram the instrument always felt like a sack of potatoes, my neck was stiff and my teeth being hypersensitive did not like the sound of it at all). On the third lesson after begrudgingly leaving work and going to music school, and playing the notes on the G-clef and F-clef note for about 15 minutes, I just couldn’t do it anymore as I did the down bow on the e note being the highest and the most melodious note I knew that that season in my life had come to an end. I had come; seen and not conquered the violin this was a case of me writing with my left hand. 

    One of my goals for 2013 was learning a musical instrument as I put down the delicate violin in to her case I absentmindedly sat on a chair that was next to the piano’s keyboard. My music teacher Sam (God bless his soul- the dreary notes of my playing the violin did not make him deaf) asked me to try and play the piano. And I did try and I was smitten. My love affair with the piano began to shape up.  Am totally sold and am gladly writing with my right hand.

    Sojourner

    What are you writing with your okay hand? What have you been struggling with on the wrong hand?

    6 comments:

    1. my left hand has been doing the writing...but then again am a lefty!!! lol

      ReplyDelete
    2. my left hand has been doing the writing...but then again am a lefty!!! lol

      ReplyDelete
    3. my left hand has been doing the writing...but then again am a lefty!!! lol

      ReplyDelete
    4. Well said! Someone once said you if you could actually keep working where you were without pay because you got complete fulfillment from what you were doing you were in the right career....if on the other hand no fulfillment its a case of writing with the left when you're right handed! Wonder what happens when you can write with both hands..

      ReplyDelete
    5. My left hand writing is right.

      ReplyDelete
    6. What do hands do again? A case of who even knows which hand should be where!
      I am currently exploring what should be writing if i only had one more week to live...

      ReplyDelete

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel