• Breaking News

    The safari of my life.

    Thursday 21 March 2013

    Today it has to be


    Today, It has to be. I have been planning for almost a year now how I will get my laptop out of its bag and write this story. I suffer from a chronic illness referred to popularly as procrastination. And this disease comes with an even stronger symptom called excuses. There is always a reason why I couldn’t do this.

    Last year the excuse was my school project needed to be completed never mind that I attended all the functions (read parties) I was invited into. When I completed school it was that my daughter would not allow me work on my laptop peacefully despite the fact that she slept often two hours before I did. Then it was my modem did not have bundles, I was too tired, I lacked inspiration, I would do it tomorrow and so on and so forth. And guess what? A year just went by.

    Today as I left the tracks, I knew I had to do it today or that dream would just fizzle out. My friends have been nagging why I just don’t do it. I refer to the reasons given above again. They all roll their eyes, they know too well am just giving my usual excuses.

    At the beginning of the year I promised myself and my friends (for purposes of accountability) that I would learn how to play the violin. I registered for the class but I just couldn’t get myself to attend it. The class is about 200 meters from my office but No, I just couldn’t go. Then out of guilt and since it was one of my goals for the year I attended three months after registration. Let me just say this, the violin looks easy to learn and sounds so sweet until I started playing it. Boy, even I was shocked, it sounded crass and my hand and neck were numb afterwards for holding the otherwise small looking instrument. My teacher kept encouraging me “for a first timer you are doing well.” The awful strange noises I was making made my teeth grit and I kept jumbling up the notes. That powerful (I know have fresh respect) instrument only has four strings and is very light but the first time I practiced, I went home feeling like I had carried a sack of potatoes.

    Everything in life takes immense impetus to start as it is the beginning of a journey of a thousand miles. And when you start, consistency has to take place up to the ultimate goal. I am slowly learning that excellence is not an event, it is the careful planning and implementation of a well thought goal. It can never be an accident. And it comes by us doing what has to be done today or it will never be done for today runs into tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, next decade…..and life will all have passed by.

    It has to be, today.

    Sojourner.

    1 comment:

    1. Starting is never easy and keeping the pace once started is always harder! Finishing well is the hardest part in the mix...but for that to happen starting has to come first. Well written!

      ReplyDelete

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel